Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Turning Point for Paul

"I have done no wrong to the Jews, as you also very well know...I do not refuse to die; but if none of those things is true of which these men accuse me, no one can hand me over to them. I appeal to Caesar.'" - Acts 25:10-11 NASB

It was a key moment in Christian history. Paul stood alone, listening as his accusers claimed he was a political revolutionary, a rebel, and a dangerous man. Paul could have resorted to bribery, as the Roman governor, Felix, had hoped. He had done nothing wrong and could have fought the charges. In fact, King Agrippa later admitted that Paul could have been set free. Instead, Paul chose to "appeal to Caesar."
This was a risky decision. What would he face? Persecution? Death? But Paul was proving the truth of what he had written: "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me" (Galatians 2:20). He was demonstrating his unwavering commitment to following Christ.
This appeal helped turn the world upside down. In Rome, Paul preached the "Kingdom of God" and taught "concerning the Lord Jesus Christ with all openness, unhindered" (Acts 28:17-31). There he wrote how his imprisonment had "turned out for the greater progress of the gospel," since it became "well known throughout the whole praetorian guard." Seeing his example, other Believers were encouraged "to speak the word of God without fear" (Philippians 1:12-14).
With greater clarity than ever before, Paul realized that nothing mattered except serving Jesus--not even his own life. He wrote from Rome, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:21).
In the same way, God is ready to turn around your circumstances and use you to change the world. Follow Paul's example: Commit your life to Him, without reservation. Let Him direct your steps. Live for Christ, for nothing else matters!


Prayer
Father, I surrender my life to You. Direct my steps. Use me to impact the world for the Gospel. Thank You for meeting my needs. I trust in You. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Extended Reading
Acts 25

No comments: