Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Spirit

Let me start by saying that ever since I went through my divorce with my first husband Christmas has been rough for me. We started having troubles three days after Christmas in 1999. I tried hard to stay strong for the kids, but one year I did not decorate including putting up the tree until Christmas Eve. Every year since then I try to make sure to decorate at least a week before Christmas. We have our traditions and I try to keep up with them. One of our traditions is that every year at Alex's counseling we make Gingerbread houses. This is Alex's:




And Here is mine:


Usually Nathan makes one too, but he did not come with us this year. Luke helped by eating the graham crackers, Cheerios and chocolate chips! We made the houses this Thursday. Last night we put up the Christmas tree. This was interesting because Luke was only 5 months old last Christmas so it was a lot easier to keep him away from the tree then it is this year. Last night he was taking ornaments off the tree, but after a few times of telling him no he seems to have learned to leave it alone now. He loves the lights and when I turn them on he points at them and gets a big smile! We are probably going to take him to Dovewood Court before Christmas to see the lights. Dovewood Court is a popular street where every house decorates. We took Nathan and Alex a couple of years ago and I really think Luke would like it. I will post picture of that when we do!

If you read my Random Acts of Kindness post you will see another reason why I am in the Christmas Spirit a lot sooner this year then normal. Another fun thing we are doing this year is a family gift exchange. We put all five of our names in a stocking a drew names whoevers name you drew is who you buy for Christmas. I got Lloyd, Lloyd got Alex, Alex got me, Nathan got Luke and Luke got Nathan. Of course we will help Luke, and Lloyd may still get me a little something, but that is what we are going to do this year. I am excited for Christmas day to come because as of right now Nathan and Alex still have no idea how much they are getting. They think things are tight, which they are, but because we were blessed they are going to have a wonderful Christmas!

No comments: