Monday, February 16, 2009
Lloyd and I's Valentine's Day 2009 Trip
We had an awesome three day weekend getaway! Friday night we arrived in Ft. Bragg at our Bed and Breakfast at about 8:30pm. We got settled in our room, "The Harvest Room", and spent some quality time playing Uno then went to bed around 11. On Saturday we woke at 7ish and just relaxed in our room until 9:15 when we thought was breakfast; it turned out I had actually signed up for the 8:30 breakfast! LOL! So the inn keeper was nice enough to bring us breakfast to our room. After breakfast we headed out to the Botanical Gardens! What a beautiful and peaceful place! This is 47 acres of gardens nestled right along the ocean coast! It did sprinkle a little off and on while we were there, but not enough to scare us away. Then we went to a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant and were embarrassed once again. We did not read the signs and see that they did not accept credit cards until after we already ordered our food. I had to go ask the server if she could tell me the closest ATM so Lloyd could go pull out some cash. After lunch we walked along some of the shops. Then we just went back to our room for a two hour nap! We woke up and started to get ready for our dinner date. As part of our Bed and Breakfast package we had a $75 gift certificate to a local restaurant called the Mendo Bistro! This is a very nice casual restaurant hidden in a huge building on the second floor. We got dressed up and headed out; as we were getting there Lloyd opened the door for another couple and we headed upstairs. We waited to be seat which we were told would only be a 10-15 minute wait. As we were waiting the gentlemen that we had held the door open for came over to us and explained that he and his wife felt bad that we had held the door for them and that they had got seated first. Since they had a table for four, they thought they could invite us to join them at their table. We thought it over and decided to join them. It was very nice to have the adult company and conversation. No kids, no schedules, no cold food because I had to share it with Luke. They were a local couple and she is an elementary school teacher and he was a Scuba Instructor. So her and I had a little bit in common and it was awesome to hear his scuba stories. They do not have children, but do have a yellow lab that we talked about! LOL! He is a lot like Marley from the movie, so they had some fun stories! We truly enjoyed our dinner and their company! Hi Steve and Kim. We got back to our room about 8:30 and had our special treats which were champagne and cookies (there were chocolate covered strawberries, but we enjoyed them before dinner). On Sunday we had breakfast and then checked out early. There were two places I wanted to hit before we head home. MacKerricher State Park and Glass Beach. MacKerricher has a boardwalk that leads to great ocean views and Glass Beach used to be a dump in the 40's or 60's where people used to dump bottles. Now all that glass is smoothed out by the ocean tides and just lies on the shore! It is beautiful! While at MacKerricher we did not make it to the boardwalk because the road that leads to it was closed, but we were able to get to another part and walked along the beach. That is where I drew the big heart in the sand with Lloyd and I's name in it and the date! We did not stay long there or at Glass Beach because it was cold and I had to go to the restroom. I wanted to go to my grandfather's old neighborhood and see his old house, but we decided that we were going to head out to avoid the weather as much as possible. Around 11am it was time to head home! THE LONGEST DRIVE EVER! The roads are pretty winding and I was already not feeling very great from breakfast, so we took them very slow. While needless to get into too much detail, but I ended up getting car sick and all together the trip home took 6 hours! The next post is the slideshow of pictures I took!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment