Monday, January 24, 2011

Vulnerable

How is it that God knows exactly what you need to hear each day. Again I find myself in awe of his works. As I read my bible readings today; I learned about Vision and then I turned to my daily devotional for more and found this!:

"The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 'Command the sons of Israel and say to them, "When you enter the land of Canaan, this is the land that shall fall to you as an inheritance, even the land of Canaan.'"" - Numbers 34:1-2 NASB

The Israelites didn't really know what to expect. They were about to enter the Promised Land, and they certainly had questions.
Today, we know that this land was a major crossroads of the ancient world, a land coveted by kings and kingdoms, the site of mighty battles. It constantly was crisscrossed by caravans and thieves. It was the highway for Hittites and Egyptians (and later, Assyrians and Babylonians, Greeks and Romans, Persians and Parthians).
Why would God put His people in a place where they would face so many possible enemies and problems? In fact, He placed them where they would be constantly vulnerable. Why? So they would need to depend on Him, because they could not succeed without Him.
This is an important picture for all of us to see. It can be easy to imagine how we might want to be freed from problems. Some, in fact, seek isolation from the world on remote islands. Others seek refuge in dense forests or high in the mountains. Some seek escape in places that seem far from turmoil and tension.
But God wants us to realize we never can find absolute security in this world. Full security can only be found in Him. Paul said we experience the greatest peace when we're in the center of God's will, trusting Him completely. It's when we are the weakest that we really are the strongest, for then we most trust in God (2 Corinthians 12:10).
Today, recognize that God is the key to everything in your life-your success, your peace, your relationships, and your security. Don't place your faith in governments or armies, money or jobs. Trust in Him and Him alone.


Prayer
Father, I recognize that I am nothing without You. I need You! Direct my steps. Guide me. Use me. I trust my life to You. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Extended Reading
Numbers 34


I just cannot get enough of what God is doing in my life right now. I spend an hour with him each day and it is just not enough. I find myself wanting and needing more! I am so thankful that he is with me all day long! But, what I need to work on is rememebering to put him first in all I do! Lord, help me to remain vulnerable throughout the day, so that I may hear your voice and know the steps you have planned for me. Thank you Lord, for guiding me and leading me in the right direction!

No comments: